Your WORK. Your WORTH.
Your WORK. Your WORTH.

Filing an EEOC Complaint in Missouri

Latest Articles

What is the EEOC?

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, also called the EEOC, enforces the federal law that prohibits discrimination in the workplace. More specifically, the EEOC upholds the law that prevents employers from making decisions based on an applicant or employee’s race, religion, sex, age, disability, or national origin. The EEOC has the authority to investigate any employer covered by law. If the EEOC determines that discrimination has occurred, they will try to find a solution before filing a lawsuit against a company or employer.

The EEOC will consider several factors before deciding to file a lawsuit. Those factors include the issues in the case, the strength of the evidence against the employer, and the case’s potential to bolster EEOC’s efforts to counter workplace discrimination. The EEOC’s primary goal is to prevent discrimination through outreach and education.
If you have faced discrimination in the workplace, filing a complaint with the EEOC may be an option for you. By making a complaint, you create a paper trail of your employer’s illegal activity and start an investigation from a federal commission into their behavior. If you have any questions about the EEOC or how to file a complaint, contact our law office today by calling 314-528-9661.

How Do I File a Complaint With the EEOC?

There are a few different ways you can file a complaint with the EEOC. Some of them may have different time limits, so it’s essential to understand the differences between them all.
Below are your options for filing a complaint with the EEOC:


Using EEOC’s public portal, you can complete a Charge of Discrimination through an online inquiry. The portal will ask you a few questions to determine if the EEOC is the right agency to handle your complaint. If it is, EEOC agents will contact you to set up an in-person interview.

In Person

You can make an appointment at your local EEOC office through the EEOC public portal. Look for a list of the EEOC offices on their website, then set up a time to go in and talk to federal agents. In most cases, the EEOC recommends talking with them in person so they get a good understanding of your complaint and whether they can help.

Over the Phone

The EEOC does not take charges over the phone, but you can get the process started via phone call. Call the EEOC’s main line, listed on their website, to discuss your situation and what you have gone through. A representative will ask you for your information before explaining how to file a charge.

By Mail

Filing by mail is one of the fastest ways to file a complaint with the EEOC. Mail a letter to the agency including your contact information, a description of the discrimination, and why you believe you were discriminated against. Be sure to sign the letter so the EEOC can investigate your claim.


Fair Employment Agencies, or FEPA, have a working agreement with the EEOC to prevent duplicate complaints. If you file a charge with FEPA, your complaint will automatically be filed with the EEOC as well.

What is the Time Limit for Filing a Charge?

While filing a charge is an excellent option, there is a time limit. In most cases, individuals have 180 calendar days from when the discrimination occurred to file a charge. That timeline is extended to 300 calendar days if there are state or local agencies that enforce anti-discrimination laws on the same basis. For age discrimination, the timeline is only extended to 300 calendar days if there is a state law prohibiting the discrimination and a state agency enforcing that law.

Should I Consult an Employment Law Lawyer?

Facing discrimination in the workplace can be a disheartening experience. Fortunately, you have rights that are protected by law. Filing a complaint with the EEOC is one avenue to pursue, and an employment law lawyer on our team can help you decide how to proceed with a discrimination complaint to get the outcome you deserve. For assistance with your discrimination case, contact Riggan Law Firm, LLC today by calling 314-528-9661.

Related Articles